Riana is a founding partner with Smith Bowers, PLLC. She focuses her practice in all areas of business law and litigation, with clients in a variety of industries and needs. In Riana’s business law practice, she often acts as general counsel for her clients, assisting them with a wide range of issues related to their businesses, including corporate formation and governance, shareholder agreements, employment matters, contract drafting and negotiations, business disputes, collections, non-compete agreements, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning, and minority business certification including Women and Minority Business Enterprise (WMBE) and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) certification.
In her construction law practice, Riana handles all aspects related to the construction industry, including but not limited to all phases of construction, contract drafting and negotiations, construction litigation, lien and bond claims, employment matters, as well as land planning and development.
Riana works with her clients to reach creative solutions to help achieve their goals and grow their business. She brings to her practice the unique combination of being a skilled transactional attorney, as well as an experienced litigator, which allows her to better help clients navigate common pitfalls and be proactive on the front end. However, if litigation arises or becomes unavoidable, Riana is experienced in representing her clients in both state and federal court, as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, such as arbitration and mediation.
Riana's favorite color is black. She also enjoys fostering for a local rescue (the more senior the better) and brings these four-legged friends to the office whenever she can.
- Selected by North Carolina Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star for 2011-2013 and Super Lawyer for 2014-2022.
- Selected by Super Lawyers® for their annual Business Edition list as a top business attorney.
- Named one of Business North Carolina's Legal Elite in the field of Construction for 2012; 2014-2022.
- North Carolina
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- Campbell University School of Law, 2003, J.D.
- Appalachian State University, 2000, B.A.
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Construction Law Section Chair (2016-2017)
- Construction Law Section Vice-Chair (2015-2016); Council Member; Committee Co-Chair
- Small Firm and Technology Section Chair (2020-2021)
- Small Firm and Technology Section Vice-Chair (2019-2020); Committee Co-Chair